Byron Beach Bum


September historically has been a busy month for me - whether settling into university life in Manchester and Santa Barbara or readjusting to the big city after my three months of farm work, it is inevitably a transitional period.  It is also the month in which New York, London, Milan and Paris host their Spring/Summer Ready to Wear Fashion Weeks, and despite my busy schedule I have always managed to keep up.  Not this year though.  I still haven't got through all the shows from February on my little side blog, let alone devote the time to this season.  Strangely enough that is my way of realising that I'm going through the biggest life upheaval so far and the logistics of planning has been doing my head in.  So of course...I had a little holiday.



Byron Bay is an affluent surfer town in the north of New South Wales.  The beaches are beautiful, and so are the people.  My friend and I rented a room through Air Bnb just down the road in Suffolk Park, next to the picturesque and isolated Tallow Beach (see above).  Warning: this area is a bloody nuisance to get around sans vehicle.  The last bus back from town leaves at 5pm (11pm on Friday and Saturday if you're on time), a taxi is $20, and it's a hell of walk.  Despite that it was a lovely place to stay, no commercial centre as it were but lots of pretty little homes and a gorgeous beach just a few minutes walk away.


There are good eats to be had all over town of the healthy/organic variety, but the must-visit for us snap-happy creatures is The Farm, just outside Byron in Ewingsdale.  Set amongst the greenest fields I've seen in a long time, this incredibly photogenic establishment includes a florist, grocers and restaurant Three Blue Ducks.  I'd been to their Sydney premises in Bondi the week before and had a good meal, nothing to write home about, but found the setting and food far superior up in Byron (could be my preference for breakfast food, or the placebo effect of the rustic-luxe vibe).  Either way worth the irregular bus service to experience.


We walked up to the Cape Byron Lighthouse, which commands gorgeous views over the neighbouring beaches and towns, as well as being a pretty little structure itself.  Thankfully the weather largely outperformed the dreary forecast, and the one rainy day we spent cosy in our host's home with several beers to keep us entertained.  Perfect antidote to the month of rapid travel I have approaching, and pretty much the polar opposite of my next location: first time visiting Hong Kong!  I'm going for a friend's wedding and will be reunited with many friends from my time in the States (none of them American) so it should be a riot....stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment